Although many decades have passed since the Vietnam War, the memory of young men eager to begin their adult lives killed in battle is too poignant to forget.
Yesterday afternoon, twelve Vietnam veterns and graduates of Mamaroneck High School (MHS) were honored in a tribute organized by Sal Ticli, MHS Class of '64 and the receipient of a Purple Heart for bravery in Vietnam. The ceremony was put together in honor of his former classmate, David Edward Porterfield, who was an outstanding varsity athlete in swimming, baseball and football.
Porterfield was a hero by anyone's standards, risking his own safety to help his fellow soldiers.
Larchmont resident and photographer was on hand at the ceremony to take pictures.
According to his Silver Star citation, “On July 18, 1966 during Operation HASTINGS in Quang Tri Province, Hospitalman David Edward Porterfield left his position of relative safety to administer aid to fallen members of his unit and was himself mortally wounded. He continued to render medical assistance to others until he succumbed to his own wounds.”
Following are a list of the twelve men that were honored:
- L/CPL HAROLD HENRY SCHOCK USMC 20 OCT 65
- CPL EDGAR BROWER BURCHELL 111 USMC 4 JUNE 66
- CPL ROBERT DIROBERTO USMC 15 JULY 66
- HOSPITALMAN DAVID EDWARD PORTERFIELD USN/USMC 18 JULY 66
- MAJOR DANIEL JAMES KEATING JR. 22 USMC 22 MAY 68
- L/CPL ERNEST JAMES HILL USMC 14 JULY 68
- S/SGT RICHARD ALAN WESTERN USA 2O MAY 68
- PFC ANTHONY PHILIP AGAR USA 7 MAY 69
- PFC VITO VITRO USA 28 FEB 69
- SP4 JOHN BATTERSON JR. USA 19 JUNE 69
- 2nd LT. MARTIN JEROME KEOGH USA 2 MARCH70
- AIG DANIEL MARTIN BROWN USAF 4 JUNE 1971