Residents of the Harborview Condominium Complex on 680 W. Boston Post Rd. in the Village of Mamaroneck were evacuated today after a pipe burst in the basement of the building, said fire officials.
The incident occurred at approximately 1:30 p.m. and left 20 residences uninhabitable said Village of Mamaroneck Fire Chief Chris Syzmanowski; the electricity, gas and water for the building were shut down. There were no reported injuries he said.
With the assistance of the Village of Mamaroneck Certified Emergency Response Team (CERT), the American Red Cross has set up a temporary reception center at Mamaroneck High School where displaced families can come to get warm, regroup and call friends and family.
So far, all residents from 61 units that were displaced by the burst pipe have found a place to stay until the building is reopened, said Red Cross Spokesperson Caroline Sherwin. She said that the Red Cross would work with any families in need of shelter.
"You expect the worst but you hope for the best," Sherwin said, echoing a mantra that many disaster preparedness organizations live by.
Sherwin said some people had been allowed to return home briefly to retrieve belongings.
It is unknown how long it will be until residents can return home permanently.