With a significant percentage of Larchmont-Mamaroneck residents still in a state of powerless limbo, simple tasks like checking email, charging phones, cooking dinner and taking showers may seem like Herculean tasks without the benefit of electricity.
Luckily, there are several options in place to make your life easier, particularly if power outages continue throughout the week as Con Ed has predicted.
(1) The Mamaroneck Public Library will be open today from 1-5 p.m. Patrons can charge their devices; utilize the library's free wireless and warm up with free coffee (there is no heat today, unfortunately). The Library should be back to regular hours beginning tomorrow, but will not know definitely until Thursday. Library phones are still not working.
(2) New York Sports Club locations on 124 Palmer Ave. in Mamaroneck; 175 Huguenot St. in New Rochelle and 696 White Plains Rd. in Scarsdale will be allowing anyone affected by Hurricane Sandy to visit either location to take a shower, charge wireless devices or simply work out for free through Nov. 14. Non members are asked to bring their own towels. Please check the NY Sports Club website for hours of operation.
(3) The Town of Mamaroneck will be distributing complimentary dry ice at the Yonkers Raceway at 810 Yonkers Ave. today until 6 p.m. for residents still without power.
(4) The deadline for tax payments in the Town of Mamaroneck is extended until Nov. 2—all payments must be postmarked no later than Nov. 2; personal deliveries will be accepted until 4 p.m. on Nov. 2.
(5) The Larchmont Public Library will be open tomorrow from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. The Library has free wireless; places to charge devices and is a welcome change of scenery for many who have been cooped up in the house for days. According to Library Director Laura Eckley, today the Library was filled with residents who occupied every available space.