Residents of the Harborview Condominium Complex on 680 W. Boston Post Rd. in Mamaroneck are still displaced from their homes after a pipe burst Sunday afternoon, causing the building’s evacuation.
Approximately 61 residences were evacuated on Jan. 27 after a pipe ruptured in the basement of the building, causing the gas, water and electricity to be cut off while repairs were made. The building has been declared uninhabitable until it is considered safe.
Though he didn’t have a timeline as to when residents could return, Village of Mamaroneck Assistant Building Inspector Joseph Angiello said, “Everyone is actively working on it.”
Angiello said there were several safety issues that needed to be addressed before residents could return, including a gas leak that was discovered when the lines were being tested. The leak was unrelated to the burst pipe, he said.
Flooding may have affected electrical equipment, which will need to be tested and inspected before allowing residents back in.
“This is what happens with this kind of thing [incident],” he said.