The heat generated by a massive fire that enveloped Alfredo's Foreign Cars on 2030 Boston Post Rd. in the wee morning hours of Oct. 10 was so intense that it melted a two-foot steel support beam that supported a concrete deck and roof. Both collapsed as a result.
The fire was reported by a passerby that saw smoke in the air at 3:45 a.m.; major flames were put under control at 6:50 a.m., but firefighters continued to extinguish embers until 3 p.m., approximately 12 hours after the blaze was originally reported.
Firefighters from every nearby town and village responded including the Village of Larchmont volunteer department, Town of Mamaroneck, Village of Mamaroneck, New Rochelle and Pelham, said Larchmont Mayor Anne McAndrews at last night's board meeting. Greenville Fire Department filled in for another department when they left on a call.
Additionally, the Village of Larchmont Police, Department of Public Works and Water Department assisted in quenching the fire's flames as did the Westchester County Cause and Origin Team and Con Edison, who shut down all utilities.
According to Larchmont Fire Captain John Caparelli, the county Cause and Origin Team determined the fire was caused by a malfunctioning circuit in the controls for an air compressor.
However, "the determination has yet to be confirmed," he said.
Although much of the memorabilia in the dealership—some of it dating back to the 1950s and '60s—was lost, the loss of human life was mercifully spared.
"I'm happy to report there were no injuries associated with this incident," he said.