Unofficially the last day of summer, the holiday, according to the U.S. Department of Labor, "constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country."
Here's the list of what is open and closed on Labor Day, Monday, Sept. 2:
- Restaurants, generally, unless they're normally closed on Mondays.
- Grocery stores.
- Other businesses: open at the owner’s discretion.
- Call ahead before heading to any of the above establishments to confirm they are open. Many retail stores or gyms/health clubs may be operating on a Sunday schedule or with limited hours.
- Banks have the option of remaining open, but hardly any do.
- The Larchmont Public Library and Mamaroneck Public Library are closed Saturday through Monday.
- Financial markets, such as the New York Stock Exchange.
- Post offices.
- Village of Larchmont, Village of Mamaroneck and Town of Mamaroneck offices.
- State offices, including the state Department of Motor Vehicles in Yonkers (which will close Friday, Aug. 30, at 4 p.m. and will reopen Tuesday, Sept. 3, at 7:30 a.m.").
- U.S. government offices.
- Metro-North Railroad's Grand Central north entrances will be closed.
- Costco in New Rochelle.
- New Rochelle YMCA.
- The Bee-Line buses will operate on a Sunday schedule.
- Metro-North will operate on a Sunday schedule.