Upcoming events and news bites for the informed citizen.
- Can you spare some blood? If so—and it may sound clichéd—please give the gift of life by visiting the s Sept. 10 Blood Drive between 10:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. at the firehouse on 120 Larchmont Ave. Healthy donors ages 17-75 are welcome; please visit the American Red Cross website in advance to find out if you are eligible to donate. Photo ID and the last four digits of Social Security Number required.
- In anticipation of it’s upcoming revaluation, the Town of Mamaroneck has approved the project to be performed by Amherst, NY-based GAR Associates, Inc., a real estate appraisal company at a cost of $919,000. The town also passed a resolution authorizing a total of $1.3 million in bonds to "pay the expense incurred in the employment of experts to appraise the value of real property in and for the Town." Stay tuned to the Patch for more updates on this ongoing project.
- For those effected by flooding due to Tropical Storm Irene, help has arrived. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has opened a Disaster Recovery Center at the Westchester County Center in White Plains to assist people with filing for Irene disaster aid. The Center will be open daily from 8 a.m.-8 p.m. until further notice; parking fees at the County Center will be waived. To register, call FEMA's at 1-800-621-3362. You can also register online at the agency's website here. Those with speech or hearing disabilities may use the TTY number at 800-462-7875. FEMA strongly advises people to register in advance of visiting the disaster center.
- Although memory often fades with time, most people will be able to recall precisely where they were and what they were doing on Sept. 11, 2001, after one of the worst terrorist acts to occur on U.S. soil. In celebration of the local men and woman who perished in the tragedy ten years ago, a Tri-Municipal 9/11 Memorial Ceremony will be held on Sunday at Girl Scout Rock, across from , at 1 p.m. Members of the local police, fire, Girl Scout troops and other public officials will be in attendance. Please come out to show your support.
- Come out for the Mamaroneck Shares Block Party tonight on Mamaroneck Avenue in the village from 7-11 p.m. Mario the Magician will be performing at 7:30 p.m. This vaudevillian look alike will delight children by pulling a white bird out of a hat among other tricks of the trade. The event will support several non-profit organizations including the Pediatric Cancer Foundation, Mamaroneck EMS, and Keep A Breast. Admission is free.
Become a blogger today!
Get started now